MANDATE OF DGPM
THE CHARTER OF FUNCTION OF DGPM VIDE ORDE NO.3/Ad.IV/2015 issued vide F.No.11013/21/2015-Ad.IV dated 13th August 2015, the Directorate General of Inspection (Customs & Central Excise) is renamed as ?Directorate General of Performance Management (Customs, Central Excise & Service Tax)?
Charters of the Functions of the Directorate General of Performance Management (Customs, Central Excise & Service Tax)
- (i) To study the working of the Customs, Central Excise Department Machinery through the country
- (ii) To suggest measures for improvement of its efficiency and rectification of important defects in it through inspection and by laying down procedures for smooth functioning.
- (iii) To carry out inspection to determine whether the working of the field formations is as per Customs and Central Excise procedures and to make recommendations in respect to the procedural flows, if any noticed.
- (iv) To suggest measures for improvement in functioning of the field formations.
- (v) To monitor performance of the field formations in key result areas through monthly performance report compilation in Customs, Central Excise and Service Tax.
- (vi) To process rebate claims in terms of Boards notification or a treaty.
- (vii) To function as the nodal office for implementation of the Rajbhasha (Official Language) Policy of Government in the field formations.
- (Viii) To function as the Programme Manager to implement Authorized Economic Operator (AEO) Programme.
- (ix) To conduct special studies as entrusted by CBEC namely various manual up-dations from time to time.Result Framework Document (RFD) formulation and monitoring etc.
- (x) To hold examinations for customs House agents under Customs House Agents Licensing Regulation 2004.
- (xi) To supervise preparation of manuals under Customs, Central Excise and service Tax Law and procedure.
- (xii) To assist the Board in setting CBEC performance monitoring and evaluation system under the Results framework Document(RFD)
- (xiii) Nodal Office for implementation of Official Policy of Government.
- (xiv) Work related to Tax Arrear Recovery.
The strategy for achieving
our mission shall comprise the following:
- Benchmarking of operations and adopting best practices
- Enhancing the use of information technology
- Streamlining Customs, Central Excise and Service Tax
procedures by employing modern techniques like risk management,
non- intrusive inspections and accredited clients facilitation
- Evolving cooperative initiatives with other government
and private agencies and building partnerships with trade,
industry and other stakeholders
- Measuring conformance to service delivery standards
- Developing professionalism through capacity building.
Our Key Functions and Services Regulatory
- Levy and collection of Customs and Central Excise duties
and Service Tax
- Registration and monitoring of units manufacturing
excisable goods and service providers
- Receipt and scrutiny of declarations and returns filed
with the department
- Prevention of smuggling and combating evasion of duties
and service tax
- Enforcement of border control on goods and conveyances
- Assessment, examination and clearance of imported goods
and export goods
- Implementation of export promotion measures
- Clearance of international passengers and their baggage
- Resolution of disputes through administrative and legal
- Sanction of refund, rebate and drawback
- Realization of arrears of revenue
- Audit of assessments for ensuring tax compliance.
- Dissemination of information on law and procedures
through electronic and print media
- Enabling filing of declarations, returns and claims
through online services.
- Providing information on the status of processing of
declarations, returns and claims
- Assisting the right holders in protecting their
intellectual property rights
- Responding to public enquiries relating to Customs,
Central Excise and Service Tax matters
- Providing Customs services such as examination of goods
and factory stuffing of export goods at clients' sites, as per
We expect citizens to:
- uphold and respect the laws of the land
- voluntarily discharge all tax liabilities
- fulfill their duties and legal obligations in time
- be honest in furnishing information
- be co-operative and forthright in inquiries and
- avoid unnecessary litigation.
This will enable us to provide our services in an effective and
We shall follow the following time norms in our services:
- Acknowledge all written communications including
declarations, intimations, applications and returns immediately
and in no case later than 7 working days of their receipt
- Convey decision on matters relating to declarations or
assessments within 15 working days of their receipt
- Dispose of a refund claim within 3 months of receipt of
a complete claim
- Remit drawback within 7 working days of,
filing of manifest in the case of electronic processing of
- filing of a paper claim in the case of
- Clear the goods, where the declaration relating to any
consignment is complete and correct,
- in case of
exports, within 24 hours of filing of declaration
case of imports, within 48 hours of filing of declaration
- Complete Central Excise registration formalities within
2 Working days of receiving a complete application
- Complete examination and clearance of export consignment
at factory premises within 24 hours of accepting the request
- Give minimum 15 days advance intimation before
undertaking the audit of assessees' records
- Release of seized documents, which have
not been relied on for the issue of the show cause notice,
within 30 days from the date of issue of the said notice,
unless otherwise provided under the law.
- Time norms for other activities, as may be prescribed,
shall also be observed.
We shall endeavour to achieve minimum compliance level of
80% of the aforesaid time norms.
Compliance levels shall be gradually enhanced through close
monitoring, standardization of processes, use of IT enabled
We shall strive to:
- be at the service of the country and its citizens
- work to uphold the economic security and sovereignty of
- make our procedures and transactions as transparent as
- encourage and assist voluntary tax compliance
- carry out our tasks with:
- integrity and
- impartiality and fairness
courtesy and understanding
- objectivity and
- uprightness and conscientiousness
- promptness and efficiency.